Written by Phylameana lila Desy, updated May 9, 2019Click the picture above to shop all amethyst
How to Use Amethyst Crystals for Healing
Amethyst is a quartz crystal that comes in various shades of purple, from light lavender to deep violet. According to healers, amethyst crystals have a spiritual quality and can be used to help individuals tap into higher levels of consciousness. Amethyst—which can be found in Siberia, Sri Lanka, Uruguay, Brazil, and the United States—serves as a bridge between physical and ethereal frequencies, creating the proper conditions for enlightenment. Lavender quartz is thought to awaken the soul, helping people to realize their life purpose and fulfill their ambitions.
Amethyst gets its name from the Greek amethystos, meaning "not intoxicated." The Greeks believed the semiprecious stone would guard them against drunkenness. Many years later, medieval soldiers wore amulets made of amethyst to protect themselves during battle; they believed the stone possessed healing powers. In Tibet, amethyst is considered sacred and is used to produce prayer beads.
In the world of crystal healing, amethyst is believed to help purify the mind and reduce stress and anxiety. To this end, the stone is often used in meditation. Healers believe that sitting with the stone in a calm room can aid in relaxation and intuition.
Remedy Benefits of Amethyst
The benefits of amethyst, according to healers, are many. The stone:
- Brings peace: Place an amethyst, or a group of amethysts, in your home or office to create a more peaceful environment. The stone may be large or small—anything from a small crystal to a large geode will improve the environment and create a sense of peace.
- Protects against psychic attack: Wear a crystal somewhere on your person to guard against spiritual assault. Necklaces and earrings are popular options for people who wish to subtly display the gem.
- Provides spiritual insight: Wear an amethyst crystal near your crown chakra (top of the head) to promote insight. Hairpins with inlaid amethyst are one way to do this.
- Promotes restful sleep: Place an amethyst near your bed or wear an amethyst pendant while sleeping. Healers believe that proximity to the stone improves quality of sleep.
- Assists with meditation and visualization: Place a crystal in a quiet room with soft lighting before beginning meditation or visualization.
Click the picture above to shop amethyst tumbles
Amethyst can be used to promote spirituality, psychic awareness, lucid dreaming, and more.
Spirituality and Calm
Some people use amethyst to keep in touch with their spiritual side and stay connected with others. Because the stone promotes calm, it helps people work on projects slowly and deliberately, without rushing, which leads to more successful work. Amethyst is an excellent crystal for creative people because it helps them remain calm, focused, and receptive to any unusual ideas that may arise during the course of their work. Others use the stone merely to reduce nervous energy and to create a stronger sense of wellbeing in their daily lives.
Amethyst is a powerful stone for healing. It also aids in psychic awareness and helps with imagery. If worn while sleeping, it helps you interpret dreams and ward off nightmares. Amethyst enhances intuition and inspiration, gives you clarity and insight, and is an excellent stone for meditation and relaxation. It also uplifts the spirit, bringing positivity and happiness to those in its presence.
For some people, amethyst can be used to improve lucid dreaming, an experience in which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming and may even have the power to manipulate the content of their dream. By holding the stone during meditation, some people can open up energy channels and better communicate with their spiritual guides. Keeping a small piece of amethyst inside a pillowcase is believed to facilitate lucid dreaming and astral flight. (Other gems believe to assist in lucid dreaming include varieties of quartz such as ametrine and azurite.)
Gwenn Henkel, a medical hypnotherapist, believes that angels suggested to her that she use amethyst when feeling tired or out of sorts, so she began collecting pieces of amethyst jewelry. She now finds that her energy is lifted whenever she wears the stone. It has very powerful energy that allows her to be more focused and productive throughout the day, making it easier for her to avoid distractions, stay on task, and achieve her goals.Credit: Desy, Phylameana lila. "How to Use Amethyst Crystals for Healing." Learn Religions, Learn Religions, 9 May 2019, learnreligions.com/healing-properties-of-amethyst-1724561.